Unmet clinical needs white paper
This MedTech NAVIGATOR Report provides a landscape assessment of the health economics of respiratory disease.
The NHS Long Term Plan, published Jan 2019, has identified the area of respiratory diseases as one of the top clinical priorities.
Approximately 12.7 million people in the UK, equivalent to one in five people, are living with respiratory diseases.
Respiratory diseases are the cause of death of approximately 115,000 people in the UK each year, accounting to 20% of all deaths, which corresponds to one person dying from respiratory diseases every five minutes. It is the third biggest cause of death in the EU. The UK had the highest age-standardised death rates from respiratory diseases in the EU in 2015.
While the number of people killed by cardiovascular disease in the UK fell by 26,000 (15%) between 2008 and 2012, the number of deaths from respiratory disease has remained stable during the same period.
The British Lung Foundation estimated that the annual costs of all respiratory diseases to the UK was £11.1 billion in 2014, with £9.9 billion direct cost to the NHS.
The White Paper also provides:
- Two examples describing opportunities from a Health Economic Perspective:
- Preventing/Reducing asthma attack rates
- Using AI technology to enhance efficiency of CT scans in Radiology
- An overview of the NHS Procurement Landscape
- Links to publicly available sources of data:
- NICE Care Pathways – Links to interactive pathways showing pathways on diagnosis, management and treatment
- NHS England 2019/20 National Tariff Payment System.
- Units Costs of Health and Social Care. PSSRU
- Reference costs. NHS Improvement.